Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Eggs Benedict



Eggs Benedict is my favorite way to eat eggs. Hollandaise sauce can be tricky, but it's so worth it!

I used 6 eggs yolks, a couple tablespoons of cold water, 1 cup butter (that's 2 sticks. sounds gross, I know, but I never said Hollandaise sauce was healthy! :-P), 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, cayenne pepper, salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

I whisked together the egg yolks and the water in a metal bowl (because I don't have a double broiler) until it turned light and frothy. Then I put it the bowl over a pot of simmering water and whisked the mixture until it thickened. Be very careful here because if you don't keep the mixture moving you'll end up with scrambled eggs instead of sauce!

Next, while still whisking the eggs, I added the butter, lemon juice, salt and peppers. If the sauce gets too thick (as mine did), whisk in a tablespoon or so of warm water.


No comments: